Friday, May 9, 2008

You Are Naming Her What???

Next to "Oh you are having another girl" or "Well, Maybe you can try one more time for a boy" (which to be honest I'm very happy to be having ANOTHER girl) people always feel the need to comment on what we are naming our new little munchkin. This drives me freakin' crazy!!!! I know I've commented on some friend/family name choices for their children in the past but only if asked what I think and never anything harsh (at least I hope not).

Anyway when we found out we were pregnant with Madison we instantly had a boys name. He was going to be Ayden James. I still love the name but had a student with that name and well enough said. It took us forever to come up with Madison Elizabeth but we finally did. That time around most people loved the name although some commented on how popular Madison was. Yep, I know it is like the new Jenniffer but I loved it so case closed!

This time around we once again had two boys names instantly. They were Liam James or Logan James (james is my dad's and hubby's grandfather's name). We quickly settled on Logan. Mostly 'cause Justin really loved it. Again no clue on the girl name. We tossed around names like Shaelynn, Amelia, Leila but nothing really stuck. Actually that is not true Justin kept calling the little one Shaelynn Mackenzie but I just wasn't feeling the name. All along I really liked the name Stella (my maternal grandmother was Antonia Estella but Stella for short). I thought it was a pretty, different name but not too far out their. At the end Justin was pretty set against the name and we settled on Emma (you know the new Jessicca). It all changed when Madison announced that her new sister would not be named Emma and that her name was Stella. Since then we have all been calling her Stella. So the baby's name is going to be Stella Mackenzie!!! I'm very psyched about it and love that big sister Madison took part in naming the little one.

Now here comes the annoying part. People either absolutely love daughter #2's name or hate it and have no problem letting us now. At first we weren't going to tell anyone the name but then people start saying how weird you are for not sharing. No not weird just don't want your opinions people! So we decided to tell and most of the time the name is received warmly. I think this may be because it is her name and not just a name we are tossing around so most don't want to make fun of our little one. Other people however have said things like "Don't you think that is a little ethnic" (ummmm last time I checked I was 1/2 Spanish and we got rid of the ethnic part of the name) or "Wow, I only relate that name to little old ladies" or my personal favorite "Have you considered a Scandinavian name" (NOPE! BJORK has not crossed my mind besides hubby is only 1/4 Swedish that means baby will have double the amount of Spanish in her). Anyway I'm sure people don't mean to be rude and everyone has there own tastes in names it just gets old sometimes. Of course if you adore the name we've chosen I love to receive praise! I'm sure everyone has had this situation no matter what names they have chosen. I would love to here some of the strangest/rudest comments that you have received or even if you want to just comment on how you named your little one I would love to hear about it!

Tracy

7 comments:

Future Mom (Heather) said...

First of all I love the name!!! Stella is awesome and my cousin just had a baby girl named Mackenzie last week. I have noticed lately that some people don't share the name of their baby (which seems annoying to me at the time because I need to know everything!) but I can understand why. The weirdest thing I have ever heard said to a mother to be is "that's my dog's/cat's name".

I don't know how I would feel about that comment other than to tell the person that their pet was not what inspired me to name my child...I think it's so rude for people to say anything other than OK when you announce a name. I mean do they actually think your comments will make them change their mind about a decision that took 2 people many months to decide on?

I think it's so funny when people say you should use an irish, spanish, etc. name. Well this person should have thought about that for their own kids then and now it's time to mind your business.

I am the type of person who will find the sex of my baby as soon as humanly possible and announce his/her name that day. I already have the names anyway LOL! And anyone that doesn't like it--too bad!!!!! You have the chance to name your child anything you want and so do I.

PS One of my friends has a 3 year old daughter also named Madison and recently had another girl. She got the same comment about maybe you can try again for a boy...did I miss something here-what's wrong with girls???

Stephanie said...

I absolutely love Stella. I love "older" names. My sister named her little girl Sophia which I love as well. I named my first and only daughter (right now) Addison Reigh(Ray was my deceased father's middle name). I just liked Addison, but I keep hearing that I must haved named her from Gray's Anatomy. I have never even seen the show. CRAZY!!! Does everything have to be about TV. I have also already decided on our next child if it is a girl. Maely. Hubby's mom that passed away last year and my dad's mother's names are Mae. I really don't like Mae, but thought Maely is a good combo. I just wanted to share sorry I am blabbling. I have a friend at work who is not sharing the name they have picked until the birth, because of people's comments. Anyway, congrats on the baby and I love the name!!!!!

Mommy Mechanics said...

My boys are named Braydon, and Trey. People say stuff all the time. Nobody seems to be able to say Braydon until about the third time and once they get it their like "oh why not Brandon?" Umm because I wanted to name him Braydon. And with Trey people usually just make a weird face. It's funny to me actually how people respond, and then you hear their name or their children's and you wonder why they feel they have room to talk. Oh yea and everyone says the oh you can try one more time for a girl lol. I think Stella is a cute name and if you and your husband like it then who cares about anyone else. Thats what I had to say because our whole family thought for some reason that it was up to them what our youngest would be named.

Anonymous said...

LOL...funny post!! Thanks for commenting on my blog...

Our daughter's name is Kaelin (Kay-Lynn) and lots of people call her Katelyn. I saw one baby names list and Kaelin was in the top 10...who knew?

I think Stella is lovely...very girly!

Dana said...

I think Stella is a very cute name... I don't know why anyone should even care, I mean really! I's not there baby - it's yours. Some poeple just need to learn to keep their mouths shut and if they cant keep their mouths shut then they need to learn to keep their comments to themselves...LO.. Can you tell I'm annoyed by this? LOL It would bother me too..

But I think you made GREAT choices, on both girls names.. Love them, love them, love them...

Andrea said...

I LOVE the name too!! It is very pretty. :) And how fun that Madison had a part in it too!! As for telling people what we are naming our kids, we've told people both times...and yeah, we have gotten some weird/rude looks!! No one has ever said anything...but you can just tell by the look on their face that they think you are ridiculous for wanting to name your baby that. We got these looks a few times when we told people were going to name our son Tate. And this time, our little girl is going to be Emily (which is what Tate would have been if he was a girl!) and we tell people (only if they ask though...we don't go broadcasting it if they're not asking. :) )...and so far we've only received one rude comment...which was something about Emily being in the top 25 names and that they would NEVER name their kid a name that was so popular, etc., etc. etc. Well. Too bad. :) We've loved the name Emily right from the start - before it was even in the top 25 list or whatever. Just like you guys and the name Madison. :) So anyways, hopefully you don't get any rude comments...or looks for that matter! Like I said before, I think the name is great!

Danielle said...

I love Stella!!! I know a few babies that were just names Stella. You had better get that baby outr before Stella becomes number one. You know I wanted to name my boy( if i had one) Cash- regardless of what people said. If people complained I would tell them we would name him Leonidus instead. Now I am on a Jude kick. So if I ever have a boy he will be Jude.