Friday, August 29, 2008
Now for a blog update. I actually had 5 minutes to myself yesterday and started to investigate what the heck happened to my buttons and all the other stuff on my sidebar. Turns out when I attempted to change my layout I clicked on a button that reverted my blog to the original Blogspot. Just one click of the mouse gave me back all my missing stuff! Huge releif. Needless to say I'll be doing more research on layouts and templates before attempting to change my design again. This has put me in a much better bloggy mood!!!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
1. I was born April 5, 1979
2. I was born in Point Pleasant, New Jersey
3. The hospital I was born in no longer exists
4. I have an almost 26 year old brother named Corey
5. I live next door to my parents
6. They still live in the house I grew up in.
7. It has been 10 years since I met Justin
8. I met him my freshman year of college at Fairleigh Dickinson University
9. I always used to tell people he was a great guy but I would never marry him. Good thing I didn't take my own advice!
10. We used to live in Lavallette
11. I would love to live in Lavallette again
12. I started college as a bio pre med major
13. I finally got a degree from Georgian Court College in psychology/elementary ed.
14. I married on 5/26/04
15. We got married at the Moon Palace in Mexico
16. I tried convincing Justin to take my last name instead of me take his 'cause I liked mine better. It didn't work!
17. We bought our house almost 5 years ago with plans of renovating and flipping within a year. We are still here!
18. I want to move desperately to a bigger house.
19. My first car was an '87 Ford Tempo
20. then a '87 Mazda pickup
21. then a '95 Cabrio Convertible (color purple)
22. then an '02 Nissan Sentra
23. then a '03 Volvo S60
24. I loved my Volvo but it got way small with kids and pets so I now have an '06 Dodge Durango
25. I love dogs, not so much with cats.
26. Probably 'cause when I was 4 a cat decided to attach itself to my leg a claw it to pieces
27. I've had 6 dogs, 2 cats and 2 rabbits in my lifetime.
28. My puppy Murphy died this Feb. of cancer at only 15 months old
29. I have no desire to have any more creatures in my home any time soon
30. My first job was as a beach badge checker
31. then a cashier at Shop Rite
32. at my aunt's tanning salon
33. as a receptionist at my dad's oil company
34. as a waitress and trainer at Applebee's
35. as a waitress at a local restaurant
36. Financial services rep. for First Investors
37. 4th & 3rd grade teacher
38. Right now as a compensatory education teacher and Mary Kay consultant
39. If not for my daughters I would go back to teaching full time as soon as possible.
40. Not sure I want to teach forever.
41. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
42. I'm not good at being a domestic goddess
43. Love my kids can't stand the monotony of cleaning the house day in and day out and making meals!
44. I was in a little Miss. New Jersey pageant when I was 4.
45. My feet grew a full size after having my first daughter.
46. I have two daughters Madison Elizabeth and Stella Mackenzie.
47. I'll probably have one more baby but not any time soon.
48. I love, love, love any kind of seafood.
49. I don't like olives
50. or eggs
51. I am just about one of the most uncoordinated people in the world.
52. My grandfather nicknamed me Grace because of my clumsiness!
53. I'm 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Dutch, 1/2 Hispanic (Spanish, Mexican, Honduran and Dominican) and 100% American.
54. I don't mind putting bait on a fishing hook or unhooking a fish.
55. I'm terrified of snakes
56. I love to be organized but never seem to get there.
57. If I can't find it I probably threw it out.
58. I accidentally threw out my first paycheck as a teacher.
59. I dug it out of the garbage, cleaned off the coffee grounds and taped it back together. Amazingly the bank took it!
60. I don't have a favorite color. Depends on my mood.
61. I love to shop.
62. I wish I could open my own children's/Mommy boutique
63. I never leave the house without at least a little makeup on.
64. I prefer to listen to the tv (not watch) than music
65. I'm allergic to kiwi.
66. I'm only at 66 and already having trouble thinking of things.
67. I think people are too concerned with their weddings and forget to concentrate on the impending marriage.
68. I think that people that don't have a lot of cash should spend money on their home instead of a huge, obnoxious wedding.
69. I would much rather be taking my children to Disney World instead of paying for Justin, Madison and I to be in 2 weddings within the next year.
70. Love Target.
71. Loathe WalMart
72. If Justin and I choose to have another baby it is not to "try" for a boy.
73. I think too many people don't take responsibility for their own actions.
74. I love the beach!
75. If I weren't a parent I would love to jump in a shark cage to see them up close and personal
76. I would also skydive
77. I can't dive
78. I can swim very well
79. I have glasses but rarely wear them.
80. I love thunder storms.
81. I love have taken quite a few beading/jewelry lessons
82. I've even gone to Milwaukee to take classes and go to a huge convention there.
83. I love to cook and bake
84. I make an obscene amount of Christmas cookies and give them to everyone I know at Christmas.
85. I can't make coffee to save my life
86. I love shoes
87. and clothes
88. and purses/diaper bags
89. I'm just as comfortable throwing a party for 100 people as I am for 10 people.
90. I love to have people over and no matter what time of the day I will try to feed them.
91. I could eat sushi just about every day of the week
92. I could do the same with pizza
93. I love to read but never get a chance to.
94. I don't enjoy gardening and will never mow the lawn.
95. I purposely mowed over lighting and sprinkle heads in my parents' backyard just to get out of mowing the lawn when I was 15.
96. I love grey's Anatomy
97. I can't stand reality tv
98. I will never, ever, ever go back to Jamaica
99. I'm always cold
100. I'm leaving now to go eat dinner!
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
- Receive one entry by checking out Mango Ink and commenting on this post about what product you absolutely love from them.
- Receive 5 additional entries by blogging about this giveaway and leaving a second comment along with a link to your blog.
All entries must be received by midnight Friday, August 22nd. I will be submitting winner info to PRIZEYWinners, you can check there to see if you won my giveaway or check back here on Saturday, August 23rd. The winner must contact me within 2 days of my winner announcment to claim the prize otherwise I will select another winner. Good luck to all!
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Anyway I planned it all out. Stella would go in my Sleepy Wrap so germy busy bodies couldn't get close and Madison would go in the shopping cart so I wasn't chasing after her. Three hours after starting to get dressed (no make up included) we were ready!
The girls were awesome but I might as well have been a green and purple spotted dinosaur walking through the store for as many looks and comments that I got for having a baby strapped to my chest! I expected some double takes after all I live on the east coast where babywearing is just starting to become ummm accepted??? So here are just a few of the comments I got. . .
- "You know Koreans wear babies like that"
- "OMG you have a baby in there!?"
- "What is that thing?"
and my personal favorite from a 90 year old busy body....
"You are lucky DYFS isn't around! You are suffocating that baby. It is child abuse!"
I also learned that the wraps does not keep intruders out but rather attracts them! There were a few people (no doubt pregnant belly rubbers) who even thought I would be okay with them touching my sleeping angel through the wrap. One even tried to pull the cover off her head to sneak a peak! Oh well I guess that is what you get for shopping at let's say "Small Part" in a less than affluent area filled to the brim with grannies! I fully intend on continuing to wear my baby in public, I'll just be a little more particular about where I go!
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
I actually got to sit down and watch Rachael Ray yesterday morning. This is what she made on the show. It sounds so yummy I can't wait to make it for dinner tonight!
2 green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 red onion, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 pint red cherry tomatoes, your favorite kind
1 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil (eyeball it), plus extra for frying
Salt and ground black pepper
2 cups flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups breadcrumbs
Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1/2, divided
1 tablespoon (a palmful) dried oregano
1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, like “Old Bay”
4 tilapia filets (about 6 to 8 ounces each)
1 cup thick Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
1 teaspoon cumin
2 to 3 tablespoons dill relish
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup (about a handful) flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1 package whole wheat pita, warmed in oven or microwave
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat oven to 400°F.
For the roasted veggie salad, toss together the peppers, red onion, tomatoes and olives on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until lightly brown and tender, about 15 minutes.
While the vegetables are cooking, put a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1/2 inch of EVOO in the bottom of the pan. Set up three dishes on the counter: Fill one with flour, one with the beaten eggs, and the last with breadcrumbs, lemon zest, oregano and seafood seasoning, mixed well.
Season the tilapia filets on both sides with salt and pepper, then dip them in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture.
Once the EVOO is hot, cook the tilapia until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side.
Once you have the fish working make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, grated garlic, cumin and dill relish, and reserve.
In a large bowl. toss all the roasted vegetables together with the lemon juice. Top with crumbled feta and parsley. Serve tilapia topped with a little of the yogurt sauce and a wedge of lemon from the remaining half.
Serve the fish with the salad and a piece of warm pita bread alongside.
Monday, August 11, 2008
I don't know what it was like where you live but this weekend's weather was awesome on the Jersey shore! I actually got to spend some time outside with the fam. because it was neither too hot or too humid to have Stella out with us! Saturday we spent the later half of the afternoon at Justin's grandparent's house. It is one of our favorite places to be not only because Mom Mom and Pop Pop are two amazing people who we love dearly but also because they have a killer home! It is at the end of a lagoon so we get to smell the salt air and watch boats cruise by and they also have an awesome pool that Madison spends tons of time in. While we were there the idea of riding a tricycle really clicked with Madison. The tiny, pink Schwinn that she got last Christmas has now become her new favorite toy. This really shows how much she has grown because at Christmas her legs couldn't reach the pedals. Every time she would get on the bike she would get really frustrated because she wasn't able to make it move by herself. Now she is a cruising maniac that only has one speed!. FAST! I know the pic I posted has her not wearing a helmet but before I get any responses to that affect, she does have one and she does wear it along with her other safety gear. She was just posing for this pic so I didn't make her put it on!
As for Sunday, we got up and actually out of the house by 8:00 and headed to the beach. There was a cool breeze so Stella actually spent the morning bundled in a blanket to stay warm. Madison could care less about the temp. She was all about using her boogie board, crushing Daddy's sand castles and catching sand crabs. The afternoon was filled with thunder storms so we just hung at a friend's house and had a great time!
Unfortunately my digital camera decided to crap out so know I'm stuck using my 35mm. It is a very high end 35mm but still a hassle buying film, getting it developed . . . I'm so pissed 'cause this was my second Canon digital in 1 1/2 years. Both cameras worked great at first and out of the blue started giving me this weird E18 error message. After researching online I found out this is a common problem. Needless to say Canon will be hearing from me. We'll see what their response is. Hopefully it is a positive one 'cause I've been looking at the Canon Rebels but there is NO WAY I'm going to drop that kind of money with the chance of the camera just deciding not to work like the one I have now. GRRRRRRRRRRR!
Oh well Stella just woke up and after caring for her I'm off to clean Madison's room. Wish me luck 'cause I'm gonna need it in that disaster area!
P.S. Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a copy of "Divine Color When Color Sings" by Gretchen Schauffler. Contest ends Wednesday, August 13th.
Saturday, August 9, 2008
No I'm not planning tonight's dinner. Although I hope you figured that out at Chameleon. These are just 3 new fun colors from Devine Color. I blogged about them a couple months ago. They not only had some of the most beautiful colors that I had ever seen, they were also 50% animal-cruelty free! Why not 100% you ask? Well there are no standards by which some components of paint are tested and in order to say this paint is 100% animal-cruelty free there would have to be.
Anyway Gretchen from Devine color was so super nice when I contacted her. Just one more reason why I love this company! She sent me three mini-paint pouches to test out in Chicken, Lobster and Chameleon from her new Flaura-Fauna line due out shortly. Each color is so different from one another and yet something I could definately see using in my home office. I'm not up to painting quite yet but when I do I promise to post a poll along with some pics to see which shade you think I should go with.
Gretchen also sent me Devine Colors Handmade Sample Book. This is so AWESOME 'cause instead of those silly little paint cards you get at a paint shop I've actually got a booklet with REAL paint dabbed on the pages that allows me to see what the colors actually look like. Now that I'm out and about again I'm going to be stopping in some local paint shops and showing of this great Handmade Sample Book because as of right now there is no one in NJ that carries Devine Color . I'm determined to change! In the meantime for any of you NJ residents or anyone else that doesn't have a Devine Color dealer nearby you can purchase the paint online.
Hold on! There is more! Gretchen Schauffler is also the author of "Devine Color When Color Sings". Guess What? She sent be two copies of the book too! One for me and yep you guessed it one for me to giveaway!!! This book is so different than most color theory books because it doesn't have all the flashy pictures and color combinations that you usually see in this genre of book. Instead it is mostly in black and white and discusses how to bring color into your home in a way that is meaningful to you instead of what someone else has in mind. How cool is that? I'm sure anyone who wants to make there living space a place of their own with colors that call out to them will truly appreciate this book.
So how do you win? It is easy! Check out Devine Color Collections and then post a comment telling me which color is your favorite. make sure that when you comment you either leave your blog or email address that way if you win I have a way to reach you. This giveaway ends Wednesday, August 13th. The winner has two days to contact me with their mailing address after I have contacted him/her. If they do not contact me I will pick another winner. You must have a U.S. or Canada mailing address in order to enter the giveaway! Good luck to all!
Friday, August 8, 2008
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Sunday, August 3, 2008
- explain why she can't have something or why she has to wait
- tell her what has to be done first before getting or doing something
- give her other options
- ignore her when the request turns into a tantrum
- put her in time out
I'm sure I've used other strategies but that is all I can come up with right now. One example of her tantrum was her fight to take a nap today. We were at my parents for lunch. I went into their room to nurse Stella and Madison came down to join me. At first she seemed like she would fall asleep right then and their. Unfortunately life is not that easy! Next I told her it was Madison and Mommy time so we curled up on my parent's bed with a story and tried that approach. No good. She wanted to go into the new room my parents just set up for Madison and Stella and sleep in her "new bed". After a few minutes she popped back up so I went to lay down with her. Within 5 minutes she informed me that it was now time to play. I calmly explained that we would play after nap time. "I want to play" was the phrase that repeatedly came out of my sweet little girls mouth over and over until my ears felt as if they would bleed. As I got more and more stern with her she became more vocal with her desire and start the crying/sobbing thing in between. I guess we got pretty loud 'cause my mom who was outside came in and separated us (yep I'm ashamed to say that I transformed into a whining/crying 3 year old too). Within minutes Madison was sound asleep and my mom came out of her room with a huge smile. All she could say was "She is just like you" followed by a sinister chuckle. Apparently when I was about the same age and had a new brother in the house I did the same thing. My mom says that the only thing that separated my neck from her hands was her bed. Luckily my grandmother came in to separate us! No my mom would not have actually choked me just like I would never do it to my kids but I know what she meant about being at he end of her rope!
Like I said before I know she is just adjusting and testing the waters now that life has so drastically changed. I'm just really hoping this phase passes as quickly as it started!P.S. Only 3 days left! Make sure you enter my giveaway for a Bailey Medical Deluxe Nurture III Breast Pump.
Friday, August 1, 2008
- I slept on my stomach. FINALLY! I've been so sick of sleeping on my side for months 'cause it was killing my hips. Last night I carefully placed myself on my stomach hoping my incision would not 'cause excruciating pain and everything was fine!
- SUSHI - a good friend of mine came over yesterday and brought lunch. The day before she had asked what I had been craving and the truth was the only food I've been dying for is sushi. I'm an addict and it is by far the hardest thing for me to give up during pregnancy! After a little research I learned that there has not been any risk linked to sushi and breastfeeding so I was all about housing as many rolls as possible! It was so unbelievably good and I was so stuffed that we couldn't finish all the rolls that my friend had brought over. Lucky for Justin he made it home for a snack before I hit the fridge up for round two!!!
Yep- that was the highlight of my week. I told you I had a simple little life! Next up Margaritas and Red Bulls. Unfortunately both are big no nos when you are nursing so it will probably be awhile before I tackle those hurdles!
On the downside though Madison started with a summer cold yesterday and I woke up with a scratchy throat this morning. We'll be fine and it is no big deal I'm just worried about the baby catching something. Keepin' my fingers crossed!
Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a Bailey Medical Deluxe Nurture III Breast Pump in celebration of World Breastfeeding Awareness Week which starts today! Even if you are not nursing maybe you now someone who does who could use this awesome pump!