Thursday, May 1, 2008

It can Happen Even in Safe Neighborhoods!

Okay so I've been wanting to share a really important story with my bloggy friends for awhile now but it always seems to escape my mind when searching for a topic (blame it on mommy/pregnant brain). I want to start by telling you that I live in what is considered to be a VERY SAFE neighborhood. It is in a quiet, small suburban town and out of all the neighborhoods in this low crime rate town it has the least amount of incidents (not that there are many anywhere in town). The homes are older (1960's???) and many of the families have lived here since they were first built. My grandparents lived one block over until last year when they passed away, my aunt lives on the street perpendicular to mine and my parents live next door. No I didn't intend on living here but we got a great deal and have not left yet! Needless to say I know quite a few people in the neighborhood.
I've always felt very safe here (minus a few unsavory characters, but that could be anywhere). My doors are very rarely locked, even when I go out. BAD HABIT! Anyway a few months ago Madison started fiddling with the storm door lock and thought it was oh so funny when she locked me out of the house while I was bringing in the groceries. It has now become a game with her to lock everyone and anyone out of the house! One Friday about a month ago I was folding laundry in my living room and some strange guy in just sweat pants (no shirt, no shoes and it was cold!) comes up to my front door. He frantically tells me that his two dogs are lost and that he saw them in my backyard. I think this is strange because our yard is completely fenced in but tell him I'll check anyway. As I walk to the back window (a little uneasy) to see I hear the door handle jiggle as he tries to let himself in. I run back to the door thinking it is unlocked and tell him to leave, there are no dogs. He tries to open the door once more before shouting profanities and running off. Thank God for Madison locking the door otherwise he would have been in my house and who knows what would have happened!!!!!! We later found out that he is a relatively nice guy who lives up the street but he has a drug problem so he was obviously not in his right mind. Of course I had no idea at the time!

Within a week after my incident a friend of mine called to tell my what had happened to her. Her husband always leaves his car doors unlocked. He got up one morning (3 a.m.) to go on a hunting trip with his cousin. He went out to his truck to warm it up. When he opened the door an extremely drunk stranger fell out of his truck wearing my friend's husband's clothes!!! He was so intoxicated that he didn't even know what town he was in and when he got on his bike he immediately fell off of it.

Ever since these incidents I have made sure that my car/home doors are always locked. I don't want to scare anyone but it is so important that we are careful of our surroundings no matter how hectic life can be with little ones. You always hear of things like this happening but I always thought it happened to other people. Never anyone I know and definitely not me or anywhere near where I live. WRONG! Bad things can happen anywhere at anytime to anyone. I thank God that nothing serious happened and hope that if anyone who is reading this is less than cautious now that maybe my story will make them think twice.

Tracy

5 comments:

Mommy Mechanics said...

Thats scary! Thank God nothing happened. I watch too many crime shows on TV so I have to admit I'm a little on the paranoid side. In addition to my house I lock my car doors while I'm driving cause I don't want to be a hi-jack victim, especially with kids in the car. So it's always better to be safe than sorry. Great post!

Andrea said...

Yikes! That is scary. I always, always lock my doors though...even when we're home. We don't live in a dangerous neighborhood either, but I guess I'd just rather be safe than sorry...and your story proves my point. :)

Dana said...

check my blog - i gave you some Bloggy Bling!!

Dana said...

that is sooo scray... I think I would have had a heart attack... I never even answer the door if I'm not expecting someone...

Danielle said...

That is freakin scary! Pete alwasy locks me in because I am way too trusting.