Sunday, April 13, 2008

Dining Green



Last nigth after eating an oh so delicious hibatchi dinner and walking around Pier Village, Justin, a couple of friend's and I decided to stop in a restaurant/bar for a couple of cocktails before heading home. Don't worry just water with lemon for me.
I was enjoying myself but was just the slightest bit board being the only completely sober one so my eyes starting roaming around as my thoughts drifted to what my next blog would be about. Wouldn't you know that my next topic was right in front of me! On the door along with all the restaurant's other accolades was a sticker exactly like the button to the left of this blog! It was boasting that the restaurant that I was now in was a member of the Green restaurant Association. Naturally this peaked my interst becuaw I have never hear of this association before. As soon as I got home my fingers started typing away and before long I found the site!
What is Green Restaurant Association you ask? It is a non-profit, national environmental organization founded in 1990. Its mission is to "help restaurants and customers become more environmentally sustainable in ways that are convenient and cost effective". The components that make up this organization include: research, environmental consulting, education, public relations and marketing, community organizing and consumer activism. It also happens to be the world's largest database of environmental solutions for the restaurant industry.
There are a number of restaurants in the U.S. and Canada that are currently members. In order for a restaurant to be a memeber they must:
  • use a comprehensive recycling system for all products that are accepted by local recycling companies
  • be free of polysterene foam (styrofoam)
  • commit to completing 4 environmental steps per year of member ship(refer to environmental guidelines on the site)
  • complete at least one environmental step after joining the GRA

I have yet to do more research about this organization than to read its brief overview but the concept at least sound very interesting to me. After spending years in the restaurant buisness while in college, I know how much waste is produced by just one restaurant. By getting more restaurants invloved with this organization or one like it I'm sure a considerable impact would be made towards helping our environment. If you or someone you know is in the restaurant field it couldn't hurt to check this site out even if just to get some ideas on how to make your place a little more green.

Unfortunately there are currently only 3 restaurants who are members of the GRA in New Jersey. They are. . .

  • McLoone's at Favorites Fords, New Jersey
  • McLoone's Rum Runner SeaBright, New JErsey
  • McLoone's Pier House Pier Village Long Branch, New Jersey

2 comments:

Dana said...

I've seen restaurants like those too...

I love the fact that plpaces are becoming more aware of the Planet..

:)

Danielle said...

I have never seen that before. That is a great concept. It is too bad there afe only three places in Jersey in the association.