Sunday, November 9, 2008

There is my sign

Have you ever been going about your business when it suddenly hits you that your are "such a parent"? It happened to me over the weekend. Justin and I went to go see the new movie "Role Models". I am a movie addict but am embarrassed to say that the last movie with over a PG rating that I saw in a theatre was "Meet the Fockers". Yep it has been nearly four years since my last theatre viewed adult movie. Yikes! Where did the time go? The movie was hysterical and just what I was in the mood for. A comedy albeit a little raunchier than expected that did not require much brain function to understand. We laughed through the whole movie almost to the point of hysterics at times.


The "I am such a parent" moment came on the way out of the theatre when Justin and I were rehashing the details that had us rolling. Just about everything that the 12 year old actor Bobb'E J. Thompson said in his role as Ronnie was funny. As a parent though I couldn't imagine about 95% of what came out of his mouth coming out of one of my daughters. He dropped the "F bomb" countless numbers of times throughout the movie and had a discussion about "Boobies" with Sean William Scott just to name a few examples. Prior to kids I probably wouldn't have even given a second thought to what was said, but times they have changed!

Were we so offended that we got up and left the movie? No, we are adults and knew what we were going to be seeing. I just questioned as a parent what would allow a person to let their child say what was said? The answer of course is money. I realize money gets most of what is wrong in this world to happen. As a mother myself I know that there is no amount of money that would make me feel okay about letting one of my daughters act in a role like this. Maybe when they are older or if they show a desire to get into acting I'll fell differently but in this case I really doubt it.

I would love to hear your thoughts if you have seen the movie or any of your "I am such a parent" moments. Feel free to share!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm not a movie person so I can't really comment much...but when we do watch movies I screen what both us parents see and our kids see VERY carefully. In my opinion there are hardly any movies out there that are good and clean and I'd love to see more movies like this!

Danielle said...

I never noticed how bad things were on Tv til I had E! It is crazy the stuff my nieces watch too!