Friday, September 25, 2009

Yellow is yellow is yellow.

It seems that 6 months rarely go by without me getting the itch to paint a room in our house. This time around it looks like it is going to be the dining/living room's turn and more than likely the kitchen too. Our living room is due and I never really liked the kitchen color so I might as well do it all at once.
Unfortunately Justin cringes everytime I decide to paint. It is not because he ever has to paint or that our home gets turned upside down when I paint. Once I set my mind to painting it gets done very neatly and quickly. So why is it that DH can't stand me painting? Decision making. Choosing colors to me is a very slow, carefully thought out process. Once I decide on a color scheme it can still take me days to decide on the exact perfect shade/hue of any given color. The options then get taped to a wall and I slowly remove colors over several days and sometimes even weeks until I have that perfect one. This time around I think I want a yellow in the living room, a blue in the kitchen and either a grey or brown on the wall that goes between the two rooms. Oh decisions, decisions!
To Justin he would just run to Lowe's and get a gallon of yellow, a gallon of blue and a gallon of brown. He is just incapable of seeing the slight variations in the 15 yellow, 12 blue and 20 brownish/greys paint chips covering the wall. To him the 16 pack of Crayola crayons gives great variety where as for me the 120 pack just doesn't seem to have enough choices! Is this true for all men? I have heard that men see a much more limited variety of color than woman. I've never researched this statement to find if there is scientific fact to it but based on the man in my home I would go with it being true.
Who does the paint selecting and painting in your home? Do you have a method of selection? How long does it take you to decide on a color? Any paint experiences that you feel like sharing? I would love to hear.



1 comment:

Lori said...

once I decide what color I want to go with I usually pick up one or two samples to choose the shade and then go from there. It is usually the picking of what color to go with in the first place that takes me a bit