Thursday, July 16, 2009

Answers Anyone?

I was just about to begin a blog on my teary eyed nostalgic mode that I'm in and how I can't beleive my tiny little baby is about to turn one in less than three days when blood curdling screams came blaring out of Madison's room!
I rushed to see what was wrong with my 4 year old and found her standing on her bed, screaming about spiders and trying to brush off what I can only imagine are spiders that she is dreaming about.
I wish I could say this is the only time something like this has ever happened but lately it seems like she is having much more vivid dreams than usual.\
I guess I should start at the beginning. We have been trying to permanantly evict Madison from our bed for some time now but she seems to find her way in every night. SHe goes to sleep in her own bed without any problems but somehow finds her way upstairs EVERY night!

We have tried incentives bribery, discussions, you name it but nothing seems to work. There are mornings where she gets upset saying that she really wants to stay in her own bed but that the really strong fairy picks her up and carries her to our room. Um, okay. This led me to beleive that besides vivid dreams she is also sleep walking. I haven't done any research yet but I beleive it is an inherited trait because lucky for my girls both my father and I used to sleep walk when we were children. Last week my suspicions were confirmed when I heard her crying but realized the crying was coming from under my window in our driveway! That's right people Madison unlocked the front door and walked right outside. I can't even imagine what may have happened if I didn't hear her cry! Needless to say we have since installed latch locks up high until we are able to put some kind of major alarm system in our home (probably the only people more concerned with keeping people in than keeping people out).

I've tried to go through recent events to see what might be triggering these situations but I haven't pin pointed anything yet (not sure if there is something specific). Her diet hasn't changed although I plan to write down what she eats everyday to see if I can find a common theme. We have been much busier this summer than usual with company, parties and swimschool four days a week. Maybe there is a link between her dreams/sleep walking and activity level (this also interferes with her nap schedule). If I had to guess I would say that latter makes more sense but I guess only time, research and help from an expert (if this continues) will help. If anyone has any information or experience with vivid dreams and/or sleep walking your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

5 comments:

Lori said...

that is scary... have you thought about putting gates up? we have two gates between our boys room and the front door. there is a wall mounted gate outside the hallway to their room that keeps them in their rooms at night and nap time. we also have one gating off our living room from the front hallway.

Andrea said...

Oh my!! That is so scary. Yikes. I have no experience with sleep walking though, so i have no advice....sorry!! I hope you can figure out if something is triggering it though...

Amy said...

I used to sleep walk too and even got out of the house once. Apparently I was going to Grandma's. My dad found me at the end of the driveway. I truly believe it runs in the family. My mom said mine seemed to be triggered by too much activity during the day. The night I "got out" we were back and forth at Grandma's painting.

Danielle said...

That is so scary. My brother did the same thing. I used to sleep walk when I was sick or didn't feel well. Also, if there was something I saw the disturbed me before bed.

Sheri said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I use to do this when I was her age. I would sleepwalk and lock the door behind me. The bad part, my parents wouldn't hear me screaming to get back in. The dream she is having(with the spiders) are called night terrors. I had those too. It is like you are awake but you are not. My daughter started having them too at 9 mo. I really do think that it is hereditary like you said. They are usually triggered by stress, being overtired, or erratic bed times. dMine started when my sister moved away when I was 6. I ended up seeing a counselor and my parents gave me some medicine that sedated me(from the doctor). I would NOT recommend that! LOL
What works with my daughter is making sure she gets her rest. She is also coming into our bed at night. So I feel your frustration. Hang in there.